Sunday, May 3, 2009

First Day On Board

Well I finally can get on the computer!! Not on my account because I can't figure it out yet but some very nice person is letting me use her log in. I can tell already that communication will be very difficult. The computers are few, the demands are many and the time is short. The ship is of course underway and the only thing we can see is blue skies, white fluffy clouds and lots and lots of water!! We left the DR Saturday afternoon and our route to get on the boat was by a smaller boat that took us to the ship where we unloaded onto another boat that then hoisted us up onto the ship deck. The seas were calm so it went very smoothly thank goodness. The ship is gynormous. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the way the ship is set up so the learning curve to understanding how to get around is quite steep. They were not exaggerating when we were told to plan on lots of steps. I AM DYING!!!!! But this is good, right? The air is very humid so I am always glistening. Believe it or not though I am getting use to the stairs and will be a pro stair climber by the time I am done. The food is okay and the water is good. They make their water on the ship with the desalinization process. Everyone here whether military or NGO (non government organization) have been awesome. Very friendly and helpful. I think I was put in the rowdies berething room. I am with three crazy fun girls who are a laugh a minute. They are all nurses as well and are in the Navy reserves. Kathryn is my mentor and is very wonderful and kind. Today I had a bunch of meetings and tonight we will have our little sacrament meeting at 8pm in the small chapel. So today at one of my meeting it was on Acupuncture. The Dr. is very good and I was his subject. I got to be in front of the whole group with my pants legs up, shoes and socks off and peeling legs. It was a little embarrassing but I git over it real quick. I told everyone that I was also a good example of what not do do when you are out in the sun. The Dr. was treating my planters facitis on my left foot. I had needles all over my left foot and up my leg. I had needles in my elbows, one in each ear and one sticking out of my forehead to relax me. I am a skeptic but I have to say that my foot does feel better!! He told me to come and see him everyday for 8 days and he should be able to take care of it. I don't know if I will have the time but I will certainly make the effort. I hope all of you are doing okay. So far I am doing great. I will hopefully be in touch soon.

Love you all

Becky

PS I am not checking my spelling because I don't have time so cut me some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment