Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Home Stretch

Arrived in Colon Panama this morning after a fun time in Colombia. We are at the mouth of the Panama Canal docked at a cruise line docking station. There are huge ships all around waiting to go through the canal and tons of containers waiting to be put on a boat and sent to where ever. It has pored all day today and this morning I got up at 5 am to see a sunrise. It was a bust because of the cloudy skies. it was still nice to be up and outside and be pretty much the only one out there. It takes this ship 2 miles to stop and when I was at the fan tail (the back of the boat) enjoying the piece and quiet the boat started its slow down operations and a huge loud scary noise jolted me out of my zen state and then a huge billow of black diesel smoke came out of a vent pipe and choked me which caused my asthma to flare up. In the end it was quite comical but at the time it happened I had to swallow my heart to put it back where it belonged. I will be going out into town tomorrow to do pre-surgery screening. Hopefully we will start doing surgeries on Wednesday. I can't believe I really only have 1 week left. I am not gonna lie, I am excited to come home. It has been an incredible experience in everyway but I really miss my family and I am going a little ship stir crazy. I don't know how people can last out at sea or on a boat for long periods of time. it would be very difficult. While the rest of the world is decreasing in swine flu cases, Panama is one of the only places that has increased. So this is causing a little bit of a concern.
The area we are in is one of the areas on the rise. We are takiking all the necessary precautions to ensure that no one gets it because if there are any cases, the person would have to be quarantined for 30 days and the ship would be not be able to return until after that period. So tomorrow, while I am out on shore in the 90 degree weather with 100% humidity, I will be wearing a mask. Not just any kind of mask, but a heavy TB mask. Should be fun. I hope I somehow get the gift of tongues but I doubt that will happen. I will be going to my last sacrament meeting tonight. We have been told that Sister Beck, the General RS President, will be on the ship the day we leave to see us. That should be nice. I don't know much more than that. I hope all is well with everyone. Love you, Becky

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you are almost done! We need more pictures! Derek and I are having fun reading your updates. We just got back from NC seeing my family for Memorial Day weekend. It was a great trip! Crawford learned how to ride a bike (and he was up the next day at 7am riding), we swam in the rain, Derek and my dad grilled wings (in a big terra cotta pot my dad put together from the internet). I got to see my brother's new baby Jack. On Memorial Day my parents asked their friend Earl to come and talk to the kids about his service in the military. After a few minutes of him talking, most of the kids left the room to play, but Crawford sat beside him for two hours! Earl fought in Vietnam and had some crazy stories. He has three purple hearts! He showed us his battle wounds. Hollis charmed everyone with his smile and potty talk. He loves to say shut-up, and when he'd get in trouble he'd yell "just kidding, just kidding". And when we left early yesterday he was sure to say to my parents as we're pulling out of the driveway..."Bye bye turds!" Anyway. We hope you stay safe and healthy. Keep that silly mask on! ERIN

    ReplyDelete